The Alliance Councillor said: “This is a sickening incident. I am relieved that the player hit by the firework was not badly injured. Fireworks are to be enjoyed but they should never be abused.
“They should only be seen in displays which are organised by professionals in a safe environment.
“Parents must be vigilant that their children do not get their hands on any fireworks, for both the safety of the children and others.”
“This matter must be addressed urgently as Halloween is fast approaching. Every effort must be made to eradicate the problem of illegal fireworks and illustrate the dangers of these fireworks to everyone.”