A man in his 50s died following the blaze at a property in the East Link area, which was reported around 9.20am yesterday (Saturday). Emergency services responded but the man was already deceased by the time they reached the scene.
“The local community is in shock at this news, particularly so close to Christmas,” said Councillor Muir.
“My deepest sympathies and prayers go out to the family and friends of the man who died in this tragic incident.
“I wish to praise the bravery of the emergency services in their attempts to tackle the fire and rescue this man. I would also encourage anyone with information on this fire to contact the authorities so the cause can be determined.”