Mathews shocked by fire at headquarters of Larne Times

Alliance Larne Councillor John Mathews has expressed his shock at the fire that broke out at the headquarters of the Larne Times on Thursday night. John has visited the building and spoken with staff on the phone.

Cllr John Matthews said: “Our local newspapers are incredibly valuable to community life and I know that many, like myself, will be shocked by this fire.

“If this does turn out to be arson then it was a despicable act. An attack on the press is an attack on democracy and free speech.

“My thoughts go out to the staff at the Larne Times, whose work is invaluable to the area. I am certain that they will be stronger and better once they get up and running again. Local Alliance representatives will do everything we can to assist staff to get their office back up and running again.

“I appeal to anyone with any information about this fire to contact the police.”


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *