The Newtownabbey Councillor said: “I was extremely saddened to hear of the death of a woman in a fire in her flat in Antrim. My thoughts are with her family and friends at this most difficult of times.
“The Fire Service have indicated that this tragedy may have been preventable, had a functioning smoke alarm been fitted in the property.
“I would strongly encourage everyone in Northern Ireland to install a smoke alarm in their home, if they have not already done so. It is vital that every home has a fully functioning smoke alarm in order to ensure people’s safety in the event of a fire.
“It is of paramount importance that people test their smoke alarms on a weekly basis and that batteries are replaced immediately if necessary.”