McReynolds urges dog owners using Comber Greenway to keep dogs on lead

Alliance Councillor Peter McReynolds has urged dog owners using the Comber Greenway to exercise caution following the death of a dog.

Councillor McReynolds said: “Indications are that rat poison had been left along the Comber Greenway, which a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Lilly, ate and unfortunately died. This is a dreadful shock to the owner of Lily and all other dog owners who use the Greenway and I offer my sympathies.

“The Greenway is a tremendous success in east Belfast and used regularly by residents and commuters. I have been liaising with council officials and the PSNI about the matter and they are investigating if someone can be brought to justice about this. I would encourage all dog owners to be vigilant and to keep a short leash along the Greenway to minimise their dogs consuming something harmful.”