Stephen Martin commended: “To see the damage caused in the daylight brings home just how dangerous a situation the emergency services were confronted with on Tuesday evening. Residents evacuated due to the gas leak displayed remarkable patience and resilience. Those asked to stay indoors and close all windows co-operated fully with the authorities in what were a very worryingly few hours.
“I understand from Phoenix Gas that they believe underground electrical cables may have damaged their 50 inch gas pipe. Investigations are underway as to how this could have occurred and what measures are required to prevent a similar incident in future. As of Wednesday afternoon, Phoenix Gas engineers are still on site working to fix the problem. I will be following up with Phoenix Gas to ensure that we are made aware of how this could have happened.
“We are very lucky that we are not dealing with a far worse outcome. The area is both commercial and residential on a main traffic thoroughfare. Praise must be given to all emergency services who worked speedily to control the situation and keep local residents informed. Thanks must also be given to Council staff who worked to ensure that those who had to leave their homes were accommodated for at the Leisureplex.”