Emergency services praised by Armitage for bringing fire under control

Alliance East Belfast Councillor David Armitage has praised the emergency services for bringing an underground fire in the area under control.

A 41-year-old man was taken to hospital after sustaining an electric shock during the incident in Melrose Avenue last night (Tuesday). A 36-year-old man was also treated at the scene for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Authorities confirmed the fire was caused by a faulty cable, however, carbon monoxide levels have returned to normal, power has been restored and residents allowed to return to their homes.

“The Fire Service, Red Cross and Northern Ireland Electricity all attended the scene, and my thanks go to them for dealing with the situation in a quick, professional manner,” said Councillor Armitage.

“Thanks to their actions, they were able to locate the fire and prevent it from entering homes in the street. Without those organisations, this incident could have resulted in more injuries and perhaps even worse.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *