Judith was shown round the office by local Delivery Office Manager, Jim Cunningham, and was introduced to the postmen and women who are working hard to sort and deliver all cards and parcels in the East Belfast area in the run-up to Christmas. (Pictured with local postman, Kevin Hill)
Judith Cochrane MLA said: “It was great to meet the dedicated, hard-working Royal Mail postmen and women at the East Belfast delivery office and to see first-hand just how much effort they put into delivering for people at this time of year.
“Postmen and women do such an important job at this time of year, and I would like to thank them for their efforts and wish them all the best over the busy festive period.”
Jim Cunningham, Royal Mail Delivery Office Manager said: “Christmas is the busiest time of year for Royal Mail. Our people pull out all the stops throughout the year to ensure mail is delivered quickly, but even more so over the busy festive period. We are grateful that Judith came along to see the hard work that goes on behind the scenes.
“Our people do a fantastic job at this time of year to ensure that friends and families stay in touch through their Christmas greetings and gifts. We’d like to remind our customers to post early so that friends and family have longer to enjoy their Christmas greetings.”
The recommended last posting dates for mail are:
• Friday 20 December for 1st Class items
• Wednesday 18 December for 2nd Class items
• Monday 23 December for Special Delivery items
The recommended International posting dates are:
• Monday 9 December for airmail to Cyprus and Eastern Europe
• Tuesday 10 December for airmail to Canada, France, Greece, Poland
• Friday 13 December for airmail to USA
• Saturday 14 December for airmail items to Western Europe (excluding France, Greece, Poland)
Customers can also help Royal Mail ensure that all their letters, cards and parcels are delivered as quickly and efficiently as possible by taking a few easy steps:
• Use a 1st Class stamp! – Post 1st Class for just 60p and have your Christmas card delivered the next day -anywhere in the UK.
• Post early! – Avoid disappointment by posting your cards and parcels early. The last posting dates this Christmas are: December 18 for 2nd Class mail; December 20 for 1st Class mail; December 23 for Special Delivery.
• Use a postcode! – A clearly addressed card or parcel, with a postcode, and return address on the back of the envelope, will ensure quick and efficient delivery.
• Use Special Delivery!- For valuable packages and parcels guarantee delivery with Royal Mail’s Special Delivery, which means your gift is tracked, traced and insured against loss.
• For more information about Christmas with Royal Mail visit: www.royalmail.comor call 08457 740 740.