Alliance Assembly Group
Administrative Support Officer
Job Description, Terms and Conditions:
- Providing secretarial and administrative support to ensure the smooth running of the Alliance Assembly Group’s office at Parliament Buildings
- Utilising and assisting MLAs to make full use of Microsoft Office software, including Word and Outlook
- Monitoring incoming telephone and email inquiries, and responding or transferring as appropriate
- Maintaining office filing system
- Providing administrative support to Assembly Group and Group staff, such as word-processing, photocopying and briefing materials
- Liaising with individual MLAs and their staff regarding diary management
- Receiving and escorting visitors and booking tours
- Liaising with Assembly Secretariat Finance staff and with Alliance Party Headquarters staff in relation to administration of Assembly Group funds
- Liaising as required with Assembly staff and Alliance MLAs in relation to the Assembly Directorates and other visitors to Parliament Buildings
- Assistance in media monitoring
These are the main duties of the position. However, as and when considered necessary or appropriate, the post-holder will be liable to transfer to or undertake other duties, reasonably required, in order to meet fluctuations or priorities in work demands.
Alliance Assembly Group
Performance Management and Appraisal:
The post-holder’s performance will be subject to regular appraisal and review by the Chief Whip on behalf of the Alliance Assembly Group.
The Party Manager, based at Alliance Party Headquarters, will be responsible for providing administrative and record-keeping support to the Chief Whip in this regard, and the post-holder will be required to comply with administrative requirements regarding time-keeping, annual leave, sickness absence, etc.
Salary will be within the range of £14,981 – £17,533. New appointees should expect to commence their appointment at the bottom of the range, unless their previous experience is deemed to justify a higher point within the range. No overtime shall be paid.
Salary will be reviewed annually and the post-holder will be notified in writing of any change to salary, or the award of any additional payment in recognition of exceptional demands.
Where the employers will be standing for re-election, payment will also continue during the period of dissolution of the NI Assembly under Section 31 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, which occurs before an election. Where the employer is not standing for re-election, payment will continue only up to and including the date of dissolution of the Assembly, and during any subsequent notice period to which the employee is entitled under the contract of employment.
No pension entitlement is attached to this post.
Applicants should email their C.V and a cover letter addressed to Alliance Cheif Whip Stewart Dickson MLA, to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Friday 14th October. Interviews will be held on Wednesday 19th October.
Job Specification for the Administrative Support Officer
E= Essential D= Desirable
A university degree (D)
Five GSCEs, including English and Maths (E)
Background and Experience
One years’ experience working in an office environment (D)
Ability to work on your own initiative or as part of a wider team (E)
Good written and oral communication skills are essential, including competence in Information Technology (E)
Ability to work with a wide range of people (E)
Sympathy with the aims and objectives of the Alliance Party. (D)